Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Confessions of a Cheerleader


Hello my name is Arlene and I'm a cheerleader.
Yes that's me, I like to talk with my dogs, I like to talk with my dogs sooo much that eventually my dogs wait for me to do all the work for them.

It's one thing to encourage your puppy to walk beside you, quite another when your puppy has grown up and should know their job.  And that's where I've got the problem.  Both of my dogs know exactly where they belong while walking beside me but because I'm constantly telling them they're soo good, soo special we've lost the flowing smoothness of team work.  The dogs are no longer doing their end of the job without my encouragement.  So how do I stop this annoying habit I've gotten into?  Well I tell you I am seriously considering a duct tape gag for myself.  No seriously, I'm having a very hard time shutting my mouth. So here's my exercise just for me, put the dog on a leash and look where I'm going, only watching the dogs with my peripheral vision. When the dogs are in position I'm to click and treat them. This is called clicking for position.  My job is now to concentrate on where my feet are going, single tracking on outside turns, foot planting on about turns etc.  Anything to take my mind off talking to my dogs.  Now the dogs can do their job of maintaining their position without me cheering them one.

Hopefully we'll see a big improvement in class this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, try to be positive and polite.